There are a lot of occasions that arise where it is necessary to dress just the right way. It may be for a date, it may be for a job interview or it may be for your school picture day. Either way you need to “dress to impress.” How do you do it? Here are some tips on how to dress up… tips on how to outshine the crowd.
1. What is my first tip? If there is a special day coming up you should buy something new. It just makes sense to wear something special on a special day. You will feel more confident, poised and smart if you wear something nice and new.
2. What’s next? You should make sure your clothes fit just right. What does that mean? Do not be shy… try on different clothes in different sizes.
The right fit is especially important to remember when you are buying jeans. It is a good idea to spend time looking for jeans that are a great fit because jeans are a staple for a person’s everyday life. Jeans look best on a person’s body if they fall on the right part of your waste, if they hug your bum, or if they are hemmed at the right length. If you find a pair of jeans that fit okay but if there are a few fit issues, you can even take them to a tailor to get them nipped and tucked here and there. If you are short, it may be a problem to find jeans that fit your height so you should take the jeans to a tailor to be hemmed. Better yet, hem the jeans yourself if you know how to sew.
3. My next suggestion is something I talked about before… if you are over eighteen you should only wear skirts or dresses that are knee-length or longer… even (or especially) on a date. Knee-length dresses are classy, not trashy. Don’t forget that.
4. What next? It is important to dress nicely for job interviews. Doing so will impress your potential employer. If you are going to an interview, it is essential that you look professional, neat and tidy. How do you get that professional look? Wear neutral colors to a job interview. What are the neutral colors? They are the colors black, gray, tan and white. You should also press or air-steam your clothes so that they do not have any wrinkles.
It is important to stick to the basics for an interview: pants or a skirt, a white blouse (with the optional blazer), and sensible heels (sensible heels are heels that are short and thick… not five-inch stilettos that look best at a club).
5. Now how about a date night? What is the right thing to wear for that? Well, again, you should try to wear clothes that fit just right. I also think you should wear bright colors… red or pink will help you to stand out. Jeans or skirts/dresses are optional because wearing either will depend on what you are doing for the date. If you are going out for a normal dinner-and-a-movie date, then you should wear a dress. You will look more lady-like, classy and classic.
There are a few more things you should pay attention to if you are planning to go out for a date night. I suggest wearing makeup… natural make-up (or the-no-make-up-make-up look). You can get your nails done, too. Jewelry and perfume are good additions that will help you to feel beautiful. Hey, date nights are special nights. It’s a good idea to go the distance.
6. Well, what about picture day (if there are any young people or parents reading this…)? Young people should wear something nice and something simple for picture day. Make sure their clothes are pressed or stemmed (wrinkles are nobody’s friend!). The important thing to remember is to look nice and neat. Make sure your childs’s bangs are out of their eyes, that your child’s hair is pulled back and that it is combed properly.
If you daughter is thirteen-years-old or older than I think it is appropriate to wear natural make-up. You should keep things simple but sweet: foundation (if you have acne or other skin problems… otherwise forego this if your skin is all right), blush, mascara (you may even want to use an eyelash curler… yes, they may look scary but you can get the hang of if!) and lip gloss or lipstick.
7. What’s next? Here are some general tips for you.
First, it is important to note that neutral colors all go together. The neutral colors are black, gray, tan, and white. Neutral colors can also be paired with any other colors. Here are some examples:
-Black pants, a white shirt a pink blazer
-A blue skirt, a gray shirt and a gold necklace and earrings
-A pink dress and a black statement belt with rose-gold earrings and a necklace
8. The last tip is a general tip for everyone out there who has struggled to make an outfit look right. You should wear clothes that are from the same color family. What do I mean? Here it goes:
-You can wear black, red, tan, gray and white together
-You can wear navy, red, and white together
-You can wear yellow and orange together
-You can wear light pink, light yellow, light blue, light purple, and light green together
-You can wear pink, purple, blue and white together
-You can wear green, yellow, and white together
Finally, here is my last suggestion: you need to wear what you like, too. Just be you.
Phew. That was a long one. I hope this helps you ladies out.
With infinite love,
Ava Lily Porter